"The rain, it started tapping on the window near my bed
There was a loophole in my dreaming, so I got out of it
And to my surprise my eyes were wide and already open;
Just the nightstand and my dresser where those nightmares had just been
So I dressed myself and left them, out into the gray streets
But everything seemed different and completely new to me"
(Oberst)
The lyrics I chose are from the song "Bowl of Oranges" by the band Bright Eyes, who generally have rather depressing lyrics; however, this song was an exception to that and it's one of my favorites. The song is about someone who wakes up after something seems to have changed their outlook on life; it seems that, from the lyrics I posted, they want to get away from whatever bad they had experienced and that could've caused the change. I felt that he lyrics I posted were significant because they're the first lines from the song and indicate that the writer (or character) has experienced a change in their outlook and attitude. Right before a break in the song, the character meets a doctor who is in poor health. The character feels helpless and thinks that nothing he can do will help the doctor; however, the doctor simply wants the character to sit and hold his hand for company. It end sup curing the doctor and the second half of the song begins with yet again depressing lyrics, but the writer (or character) assures whoever in the song is depressed that he or she will be with the other person and try to cheer them up throughout whatever they go through in life. It seems as if the writer (or character) was selfish previously but whatever provoked the change makes them care greatly about others. In teh end of the song, the writer (or character) expresses a need for people to take a few moments to think about their life and hte lives of others, or to somewhat examine it, to truly see the beauty in it. Overall, it's a very uplifting song, which is a nice change from the band's norm.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment