Tuesday, November 17, 2009

Quote-Response Blog

In sticking with this week’s debate, the quote I chose also refers to racism in Othello. The quote I chose is from Act I, Scene II when Othello begs Brabantio to take him to the Duke instead of prison because of the military issue that has risen.

“Brabantio: How? The Duke in council?
In this time of the night? Bring him away.
Mine’s not an idle cause. The Duke himself,
Or any of my brothers of the state,
Cannot but feel this is wrong as ‘twere their own;
For if such actions may have passage free,
Bondslaves and pagans shall our statesmen be.”

Brabantio is basically saying that everybody on the council will agree that this is wrong. He also knows that they won’t be irritated with him showing this late because it is a severe case that needs to be checked; if it were to go unchecked, then everything would be turned upside down and anybody could be anything in Venice. This is a huge indication to racism in the play, which I thought was important not only to my debate and all of the facts presented there, but also to understanding the rest of the play.

No comments:

Post a Comment